Soul Healing Soup


There is nothing I crave more often than a bowl of piping hot soup. I think it all started back during my time at boarding school in Monterey. All those days of fog, homesickness, mountains of homework, and cold water polo practices left me with a greater appreciation for the magical healing properties of soup.

These days when I start hankering for soup its usually a bowl of spicy Vietnamese pho. I really think it’s the answer to all of life’s maladies. Long day at work? Pho. Achy muscles from a long run? Pho. Feeling fat after a week of glutinous vacation eating? Pho.  See, problems solved!
Photo compliments of Eat, Live, Run. 
Something about the boiling fish heads and laundry list of ingredients I can’t pronounce, let alone find, had left me looking for an easier homemade option. I started with this recipe from Eat, Live, Run and have since adapted it over time to fit my taste. This soup is filled with delicious flavors, tender chicken, nutrient rich greens, and the most slurp-able noodles. Go ahead give it a try. I’m sure once you start sautéing the ginger all your worries will cook away!

Asian Noodle Soup


Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
6 cups chicken broth
1.5 lbs chicken thighs
2.5 cups kale
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
5 oz Chinese rice noodles (about half a package) Tucson peeps check out Lee Lee International Market for a great selection of noodles! 
¼ cup chopped cilantro
sriracha for serving (optional)

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. Add diced onion and jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add sesame oil, garlic, and ginger and sautee for about 30 seconds.

Add chicken broth and bring to simmer. Add the chicken, kale, soy sauce, and rice vinegar and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove chicken, let cool, and shred.

While chicken is cooling add noodles and cilantro to soup. Once the noodles look translucent (about 5 minutes) add shredded chicken and serve. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment