Runner’s Thoughts: Endurance Freaks


I’ve been running a lot lately. Which means a lot of time with my thoughts. Most of the time I’m thinking about maintaining good running form (lean forward, don’t heel strike!), what I’m going to eat after my workout (mmm bacon), or what the hell I’m going to do with my life (how can I make lots of money without working too hard). Some days, during those longer runs, my thoughts go a little deeper.

Rillito River Path
Yesterdays run took me on a slow, 8-mile cruise along the Rillito River Path. This is the furthest I have run since June, and let’s just say the first 4 miles were ugly. I trudged along wondering what in the world I was thinking trying to get ready for a half marathon on only 6 weeks of focused training. Then around mile 4 something magical happened… my legs showed up and I was flying.

Oh that’s right, I’m an endurance athlete! I’ve spent the last 3 years training my body to race between 70-140 miles. 4 miles is merely a warm-up for this little machine of mine! As I dashed down the river path feeling a little like Kara Goucher, I thought about how strange it was that I have become an endurance athlete. This really wasn’t my master plan, just a logical progression through the sport of triathlon, followed by a couple of impulse purchases (Thanks Dad). Now all of sudden I think it’s a good idea to run a marathon after riding 112 miles, I wear brightly colored compressive knee socks in the hopes my legs will be a little less fatigued the next day, and a 9pm bed time at age 26 has become all to common. THAT’S NOT NORMAL PEOPLE, but I’m OK with it.


A lot of people don’t get it, and I don’t expect them to. They roll their eyes when I head home early, or are relieved when I finish another race thinking that it will finally be my last. So sorry folks, but this habit isn’t going anywhere. So for now I will continue to log my miles, wear too much lycra, and swap war stories with the other endurance wackadoos because I love it, and I love how it makes me feel.

…and I mean, how else am I supposed to justifying that slice of chocolate banana cream pie I had for breakfast?!
mmm pie :)
Want to stay up on all my random thoughts? Like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I get nowhere near your mileage in any sport(the bike time is mostly to remind me of the sheer joy of being a kid, the summer lake swims just for the quiet), but long runs are what revives me. My first few miles almost always feel tight and rusty too, which is why I've come to dislike the short distances and embrace the long, soul-enhancing ones. Loved reading this, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl. I hope we get to be teammates or training buddies again someday. :)

    ReplyDelete